Monday, October 13, 2008

Whining is something I have NO patience for...

I injured my thumb on Friday. I tried to reconnect with a friend of mine that I haven't seen in 7 years. Second time in a week that I met up with an old friend that I have missed dearly. As I tried to sit on the chair, I was hipchecked by someone coming down the isle and she hit me so hard my head hit the glass window next to my seat. I didn't think much of it, maybe it was jammed, so I pulled on it, and instead of it feeling better, it felt worse. So I just kind of felt restricted all weekend and only winced when it was bumped which I didn't see it as complaining...

My schedule was full of so much today... appointments, phone calls, laundry, screaming children, my brother unexpectedly spending the night, and above all, pain. My thumb was still killing me and the colors were just such a beautiul spectrum. Well as the day went on, things kept happening... I was late to my first appointment which took longer to get to due to said thumb... then I was bombarded with tons of things that needed to be done right away at work... then Camryn started having symptoms like she was headed for a seizure so Dan said he was going to go home. After that I thought everything was fine, so I just kept working. After a couple hours, the school nurse called to tell me that Davin had just puked enough to fill the garbage can (yeah, I know, I didn't need to know it either but since I do, I thought I would share!) So I call Dan to have him pick him up and he starts flipping out about how it ruins his schedule and how it's so inconvenient and how he was in the middle of so much. Through all of this whining and complaining, and self-centered bitching I finally told him that it will work itself out and he hung up on me. How nice, I know.

As soon as I hang up the phone, it rings again, my mother this time. She called to tell me that my 36 year old cousin had lost her battle with breast cancer. It was awful. Despite the fact that she is leaving behind a 11 and 9 year old, despite the fact that she was the sole reason I wanted to become an accountant, she was amazing. You know those people that have done good all their lives, fight the disease with every fiber of their being, and to then end, try to help everyone around them! She was so giving and so full of life and it just hurts to lose someone like that...

So here I am again, losing another family memeber to such a horrible thing and asking myself why? Why them? And trying to remember that they were here to teach us something, they were here to show us the way to be throughout difficult situations, and modeling who we all wish we could be. The suffering of those left behind is awful though. Her children will grow up through such definitive years without mom standing there beside them being their cheerleader like she was for them and others for years. How horrifying it must have been for them to know that she couldn't recognize them for the last couple weeks... it just brings me to tears!

Please hug your children tonight and remember that every moment, every day is a gift and shouldn't be taken for granted... one day you might regret it if you don't cherish every moment. After I found out I sent Dan an email which he recieved on his phone and though it was short, cold, and probably took him of guard, he was glad I sent it.

Title-Our Family is not Perfect

But remember with all that we have to deal with and everything that we have to go through, we get to go through it together and we still get to see our family.

Yes, I know it's harsh, but I think that sometimes people need to hear the reality of it. Today was a gift and whining, yelling, and complaining are just a waste of time and a bull dozer of creating memories...and suddenly I don't feel my thumb anymore (not broken).

I do however miss him...

3 comments:

Kiera said...

My deepest sympathies about your cousin.

It has been a hard couple of months for you. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you.

Unknown said...

so sorry to hear about your cousin.

Andrea said...

So sorry to hear about your cousin.. Hugs..