Now most people out there get a song stuck in their head from time to time. Some people listen to the radio for hours every day, some go as far as wearing an iPOD every chance they get. And then there are people like me... I do all of the above and apparently I sing and hum everywhere I go. It's not "whistle while you work" but it's still a HUGE part of who I am. The VP of HR at my company gives me crap for my concert/music obsessions, but today, she imitated something I didn't even know I was doing! I was singing while I was walking down the hall to get my mail (bills everyday, feels like home ;) just quieter) and I was oblivious to it. So somewhere around " is it standing right here, singing this song" (sugarland's new CD rocks!!! Helps that a Matt Nathanson song is on it) she starts laughing and since I don't know that I am singing those exact lyrics at that moment, she points out to me that I must have listen to every song on the planet, and therefore are making up my own words. When I try to explain to her what song/band it was from, she just starts laughing harder. Accusing me of trying to cover it up, as if I was that crazy person who talks to themselves and then follows up with a response!!! EEEE-GATS! Could this be me? I am the crazy lady who sings to herself? All the while being only 30???? So I know that music is huge for me, I played 5 instruments, sang in choir for 13 years, and did musicals for 6 years, often with leading rolls. It's just always been a part of who I am. Well little did I realize how out of control my addiction really was... I buy music in stores, online, get copies from friends, go to concerts, look who's coming up in concert, and yes, go on a cruise that is the best floating music festival ever orchestrated!!! Ok, so maybe I know how much I love music, can you blame me? It's so expressive, relaxing, and therapeutic!!! Well today I learned that there are others that are worse. Namely my friend, Veronica, partner in crime for my concert going. She has no children, so it's a full time hobby for her and there are days when I am so jealous I could SCREAM! Days when I wish I could give her the freedom to always order me a ticket no matter what time, what day, what place. Days when I wish I could submerse myself in it and make the world stop revolving around me. My own little utopia. Then there are other days. Days like yesterday that just give me another reason to love music. There is a saying "music is the same in any language, from the heart" and I love this saying. Yesterday, Elli was in the back of the truck requesting music by artist, by album, by song. She knows them in order, she knows them out of order, she knows who wrote them in some cases. She is not music prejudice by any means either. She likes the following... The presidents of the United States Led Zepplin Eagles ABBA Garth Brooks Lady Antebellum Sugarland Jake Owen Cheryl Crow Buck Cherry Three Doors Down Matt Nathanson Josh Kelly Matt Wertz Sheck Sound Track Bruce Springstein's Christmas Rock Now 12, 21, 23 And this is just for starters!! She can be quizzed like any adult and she belts these songs out with so much pride. I look back at this kid who couldn't really talk at the age of 2 and it amazes me how far she has come. She just needed a way to connect to the world around her. And music helped her accomplish this... Just fills my heart with notes!
I included a video of a Rock Boat Rookie feelin' the music!!
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Music Music Music!
Posted by Information at 12:05 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment